Thank you for the patience and support you have shown Alpine over the past weeks. Our current global health crisis makes us all long for the things we love about camp: community, connection, celebrating together, eating together, and making new friends. In the midst of this strange season, we have longed to offer boys the opportunity to return to the mountain or come for the first time, so Carter and I have exhausted all possible options with the hope we could open this summer.
After much prayer, community dialogue, and conversations with experts – medical professionals, clinical counselors, camping advisors, and legal and insurance counsel – we have reached a very difficult decision. With great sadness, we are canceling Junior Camp, First Term, and Second Term this summer. Our hearts are broken, but we are confident that this is the wisest decision for the health and safety of you and your boys, your extended families, our staff, and the hundreds of individual communities from which our campers come.
Since 1959, Alpine has been a place where boys are free to be themselves – to run and play and build lifelong friendships. Camp is a place of relationship and connection, and social distancing almost 400 campers and staff living, playing, and eating in confined spaces is just not possible. Conversations with medical professionals about everything from testing to opening day procedures to infirmary protocols have confirmed our decision.
Parents, you may get a range of emotions from your camper(s) when you share this news. We would encourage you that any of those are normal. The best thing we can do as parents is empathize, listen, and let them hold the loss in the moment.
We’ve also posted a video addressed specifically to campers.
While we will miss playing Mission Impossible, jumping into Little River, feasting on Moose Tracks after tribe competition, and playing twilight games on the athletic field, we know that what makes Alpine so special is the people. You could take away all the activities, even the beautiful location, and still have the heart of camp – a community knit together by God’s love. We are so grateful that you are a part of our Alpine community, and while we cannot gather together on the mountain, please know that Carter and I are praying for you and your sons and for this unique time that you have with them.
As for next steps, we would ask you to email our office using the email, firstname.lastname@example.org, by May 28 to advise of the refund option you are choosing. A summary of the previously posted options is below. If you are financially able, please consider carrying some or all of your 2020 payments forward for 2021 tuition. If we do not hear from you by May 28, we will rollover any tuition paid to apply in 2021.
Also note that our August 14-16 and August 28-30 Father Son weekends are still scheduled. If you are enrolled in one of those we will be in touch closer to time with more information.
We look forward to welcoming you through the front gates of camp as soon as we are able. The Lord has been faithful to this place for 61 years. May he be so for many, many more to come.
Glenn and Carter Breazeale